Wrestling with Authority at The Whirlwind Conference | Samuel Hatton on Life, Love, and Miscellaneous Wisdom

Wrestling with Authority at The Whirlwind Conference



April and I are constantly talking about how we can better support one another in the work that each of us do. This is a noble and honoring objective in any marriage. In ours it's paramount. In fact, it's one of our top priorities in life. I'm not just talking about emotional support. I'm talking about being all about what the other is doing regarding career. It sometimes means giving time and being a part of the work. At other times it means giving space so that work can be done.

For me, last weekend, when we attended The Whirlwind Conference it meant giving time.

This was our second Whirlwind Conference. A conference that highlights the fundamentals of worship dance. Last time support looked like me attending the conference, dancing with my wife, assisting in her workshop, attending her talk, and snapping a lot of photos, which are now on the Whirlwind Conference website.

This time was different. It went beyond simply supporting my wife. It went beyond simply giving time. I found myself in the middle of the work that she is all about. I found myself being recognized as a leader in a place of authority. This shouldn't have been a surprise to me, and in a way it wasn't. After all, I was asked by Amy Gerlach, the founder of The Whirlwind Conference, to be a speaker this time around.

Wrestling with Authority

My doubts first hit me in the men's dance workshop. I was sitting on a panel with a couple other guys, and we were being asked questions about worship dance. Michael, a talented Christian worship leader said, "These guys have much more experience in worship dance than me."

Who am I to be considered an authority in worship dance?

I wrestled with this question for a moment and then let it pass. I am here supporting my wife. I have been involved in everything she is about. That is my authority. Plus, Amy asked me to speak at the conference. There is authority also.

Then a young man asked, "How often do you worship dance in church?"

My short answer, "Only a few times in my entire life."

If anyone was the least qualified in the room at this point, it was me. This was a group full of boys and men who go to churches that are more accepting of freeform dance during worship than the church I attend.

This of course was all in my head. The thought process was that my authority doesn't come from what I do. It comes from who I am. I am married to a woman who is all about supernatural dance. She takes groups into San Francisco City and facilitates the opening of Heaven so that people might be able to experience something more. My support for my wife and her work is my authority.

Awakening True Authority

As I sat there allowing the other men on the panel answer the question, I was struck with a profound thought. My authority wasn't actually in my wife. My authority comes directly from God. And not exactly in the way you might think.

God gave me the ability to move my body. He gave me the ability to dance. My authority to dance comes from the One who gave me the ability to dance in the first place. Extending it to worship dance. God also gave me the authority to worship. He gave me ability to sing, wave my arms, cry out, etc.

When you think about it, it's silly for me to even contemplate where my authority comes from. It doesn't necessarily come from supporting my wife. After all, who gave her authority in the first place? God. Right? And He did it in the same way He gave me authority. Ability to move, ability to dance, ability to be.

Using my Authority

From support, to authority, to doubt, to truth, then back to a clear head, I lead the remainder of that workshop. With authority.

I guided the men to move with authority in who they are in Christ. They are kings of the Kingdom of Heaven. They are warriors battling not against flesh and blood, but against sickness, disease, and hate. They are men full of compassion because God is full of compassion. I had these men move accordingly. And they did. We had a blast dancing like mighty warriors, the way men should dance.

All-in-all this time around at The Whirlwind Conference I danced with my wife, assisted in her workshop, attended her talk, took a few photos, but this time I also lead.

I even got to lead a segment at the downtown workshop and facilitate the opening of Heaven and hope into the lives of wanderers at the downtown Saturday Market in Eugene. And they welcomed our gifts of hope, compassion, and love. All in the authority of the One who sent us.


Samuel Hatton is passionate about entrepreneurial activities. He builds,  implements and runs marketing programs at Endsight. He also founded Life is a Play, professional development motivation. You can find him on Google+ and Twitter. Samuel is always up for good discussions and activities regarding careers, marketing, entrepreneurship, performance, and dancing.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!